Monday, October 25, 2010

Cambodia!

Helllloooo Party People!

I am officially on day 6 of my excellent adventure and I am in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I have been touring temples for the past two days... including Angkor Wat - the 8th wonder of the world! I have several day's worth of videos to share with you... Check them out!


Video from Day 3 - After I had just crossed the border from Thailand into Cambodia... This looks very third world (okay it is third world) and makes me super thankful for the paved beautiful streets and happy beautiful safe greenbelt of Boise, Idaho! Seriously - we Americans have no idea how good we have it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8iSMmaPOg

Video #2 from Day 3 - Traveling in a taxi from the border to Siem Reap with my new friend that I adopted on the bus ride from Bangkok to the border. His name is Richard and he is from England but lives in Bangkok and Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It was a complete blessing that I met him, because he guided me through the somewhat scary/confusing Thai-Cambodia border and then we shared a taxi to Siem Reap. The ride took two hours to get there, and I was so excited to learn that Richard has traveled all over the world via backpack and had supremely excellent advice for places to visit/things to do/insider tips for EVERY place I asked him about. SCORE! To top off the day, Richard told me about an awesome guest house in Siem Reap that I'm staying at... It has free wifi, a pool, and it's all for $16 per night (breakfast included). This is a serious step up from a backpacker hostel in which I would be sharing a bathroom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNOCdVmugM

Day 4 - I am standing by the river in Sieam Reap... I love this place! I am MUCH more at home here than in Bangkok... Bangkok was a bit much for the travel rookie. This place is still touristy, but much smaller, friendlier, and Cambodia deals in US dollars! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqy7nUdQGto

Day 5 - Standing on the moat in front of Angkor Wat. WOW. What a truly breathtaking place. This is the 8th wonder of the world! BAM! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OL-sPs43IE

Day 6 - Riding in a tuk tuk on my way to more temples. A cultural experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcYRXcsw4nQ

Day 6, Video #2 - The Khmer people of Cambodia have experienced some crazy stuff in their lifetime - major craziness as recent as 1975... This is a band made up of mine victims that were playing just outside of a temple. These mini bands are all over this place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdgSOlyiwx8

Day 6, Video #3 - Riding in a tuk tuk again past more temples... This shot is my favorite scene in all the temple watching. It's in front of a place called "The Terrace of the Elephants" and it's this wide open green grassy area that is lined by these massive stone structures. My apologies for the bumpy video. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxuqBDpUmyM

Day 6, Video #4 - Still riding in my tuk tuk and passing by Angkor Wat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikrIvo6EWg

Are you peeps tired of videos yet?!?! Or just tired of tuk tuk videos?

Here are a couple of cool pics (for more pics, check out my Facebook page):

Me in front of Angkor Wat. Check out the reflection in the pool behind me... My guide recommended this picture spot. You can see all five towers from this shot. The green sections are where they are currently doing restoration.



Me from the top of Angkor Wat (please excuse the make-up free sweaty face... I'm telling you - all this sweating is one hell of a weight loss program. And a cause for no makeup and three showers a day! MUAH!).

That's all for now, folks! I'll be travelling to Phnom Penh, Cambodia the day after tomorrow via river boat and will have more updates then!

Love,

Tara Cambodia Rocks Cheney

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tara! Loving your updates. Be safe and have fun! (Btw, Richard's kinda cute :) -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely pictures :) You look amazing.

    Kathy
    check out: Nove Colli Gran Fondo

    ReplyDelete